Black Bears are neutral mobs that spawn in forested biomes.
Black bears are based on the American black bear, and are dark brown in color, with a black underbelly and legs as well as black patches of fur on their backs.
Occasionally, a unique black bear variant based on the Kermode bear may spawn; this variant is white in color, with a pale yellow underbelly and legs as well as pale yellow patches of fur on their backs.
Black bears will not attack players unless provoked, and, when undisturbed, will wander around aimlessly and avoid any natural hazards such as high cliffs or lava. As well as this, they will eat from berry bushes they walk into; however, they will make no attempt to seek out any nearby berry bushes. However, if provoked by a player or another mob, they will start running quickly at them and dealing 3 hearts (6 HP) of damage upon contact; when attacking, they will rear up and roar loudly to warn targets of incoming damage. They will also attack players that get within 10 blocks away from their cubs; as well as this, if a black bear cub is attacked by a player or another mob, any nearby black bears will immediately turn hostile towards the player or mob that harmed their cub.
In addition to attacking players who threaten their cubs, black bears will also occasionally prey on chickens, rabbits, and pheasants, being able to spot them from 20 blocks away. This behavior is influenced by how hungry they are.
|Upon spawning, this predatory mob will have an initial hunger defined by the sum of 10 and a random number (from 0-49); every second, this hunger goes up by a single number. In addition to this, it has a hunger threshold of 80; this threshold is vital for its effective hunger, which is 0 when below the threshold and equal to the difference between the hunger and the threshold when above it. If the effective hunger is greater than or equal to 100, the mob will immediately attack a prey animal; otherwise, its chance of predation is determined by the quotient of 1 and the difference between 100 and its effective hunger.|
Black bears can be bred with salmon or honeycombs, and are bred in the same manner as other vanilla animals (right-clicking with the breeding item). However, they will not follow players holding meat.
It takes 1 day for a cub to reach adulthood.
- Now moves more quickly in water.
- Will now eat berries from berry bushes (1.14+ only).
- Now immune to bush damage (1.14+ only).
- Now persists in worlds on Peaceful difficulty, but becomes passive.
- Added baby black bears, which have a 25% chance to spawn naturally and can also spawn after a pair of black bears are bred with salmon (or honeycombs on 1.15+).
- Now turns hostile if its cubs are approached or attacked.
- Now has an attacking animation.
- Predation of other animals is now determined by a newly-added hunger mechanic.
- Black bears, along with brown bears, were the first mobs added to the mod, being added in release 1.0.0.
- As is the case with brown bears, black bears use a similar model to the remodeled polar bear from Better Animal Models, Better Animals Plus' sister mod; however, similarly to brown bears, black bears have larger ears than polar bears.
- Although brown bears and black bears both share attacking code with the vanilla polar bears, the remodeled polar bears do not rear on their back legs when attacking.
- Interestingly enough, black bears are similar in size to the vanilla polar bears.
- Similarly to brown bears, black bears are docile unless provoked, but they can move just as quickly, hit just as hard, and shrug off as much damage as brown bears can, making them reasonably threatening early-game enemies.