Brown Bears are neutral mobs that spawn in forested biomes.
Brown bears are brown in color, with a darker brown underbelly and legs as well as darker brown patches of fur on their backs.
Brown bears will not attack players unless provoked, and, when undisturbed, will wander around aimlessly and avoid any natural hazards such as high cliffs or lava. As well as this, they will eat from berry bushes they walk into; however, they will make no attempt to seek out any nearby berry bushes. However, if provoked by a player or another mob, they will start running quickly at them and dealing 3 hearts (6 HP) of damage upon contact; when attacking, they will rear up and roar loudly to warn targets of incoming damage. They will also attack players that get within 10 blocks away from their cubs; as well as this, if a brown bear cub is attacked by a player or another mob, any nearby brown bears will immediately turn hostile towards the player or mob that harmed their cub.
In addition to attacking players who threaten their cubs, brown bears will also occasionally prey on pigs, chickens, rabbits, salmon, deer, and pheasants, being able to spot them from 20 blocks away. This behavior is influenced by how hungry they are.
|Upon spawning, this predatory mob will have an initial hunger defined by the sum of 10 and a random number (from 0-49); every second, this hunger goes up by a single number. In addition to this, it has a hunger threshold of 80; this threshold is vital for its effective hunger, which is 0 when below the threshold and equal to the difference between the hunger and the threshold when above it. If the effective hunger is greater than or equal to 100, the mob will immediately attack a prey animal; otherwise, its chance of predation is determined by the quotient of 1 and the difference between 100 and its effective hunger.|
Brown bears can be bred with any kind of meat, and are bred in the same manner as other vanilla animals (right-clicking with the breeding item). However, they will not follow players holding meat.
It takes 1 day for a cub to reach adulthood.
- Now drops Bear Skin.
- Now occasionally drops a placeable head.
- Now moves more quickly in water.
- Will now eat berries from berry bushes (1.14+ only).
- Now immune to bush damage (1.14+ only).
- Will now attack salmon (1.14+ only).
- Now persists in worlds on Peaceful difficulty, but becomes passive.
- Added baby brown bears, which have a 25% chance to spawn naturally and can also spawn after a pair of brown bears are bred with any kind of meat.
- Is no longer unconditionally hostile, only attacking if it is attacked or if its cubs are approached or attacked.
- Now has an attacking animation.
- Predation of other animals is now determined by a newly-added hunger mechanic.
- Brown bears, along with black bears, were the first mobs added to the mod, being added in release 1.0.0.
- As they are bears, brown bears use a similar model to the remodeled polar bear from Better Animal Models, Better Animals Plus' sister mod; however, brown bears have larger ears than polar bears. This is also the case with the black bear, which uses the same model as the brown bear.
- Interestingly enough, brown bears are much larger than the vanilla polar bears, standing just as tall as a player at the shoulders.
- Although brown bears are docile unless provoked, they can move just as fast as a sprinting player, even when swimming in water; combined with their decently strong attacks, this makes them reasonably threatening early-game enemies.