Brown Bears are hostile mobs that spawn in forested biomes.
Brown bears are brown in color, with a darker brown underbelly and legs as well as darker brown patches of fur on their backs.
Brown bears are naturally hostile to players, pigs, chickens, rabbits, salmon, deer, and pheasants; they are able to spot targets from 20 blocks away. When attacking, they will quickly run at targets and deal 3 hearts (6 HP) of damage upon contact; when attacking, they will roar loudly to warn targets of incoming damage. When not attacking, they will wander around aimlessly and avoid any natural hazards such as high cliffs or lava. As well as this, they will eat from berry bushes they walk into; however, they will make no attempt to seek out any nearby berry bushes.
- Now moves more quickly in water.
- Will now eat berries from berry bushes (1.14+ only).
- Now immune to bush damage (1.14+ only).
- Will now attack salmon (1.14+ only).
- Brown bears, along with the less hostile black bear, were the first mobs added to the mod, being added in release 1.0.0.
- As they are bears, brown bears use a similar model to the remodeled polar bear from Better Animal Models, Better Animals Plus' sister mod; however, brown bears have larger ears than polar bears. This is also the case with the black bear, which uses the same model as the brown bear.
- Although brown bears and black bears both share attacking code with the vanilla polar bears, neither brown bears, black bears, or the remodeled polar bears rear on their back legs when attacking.
- Interestingly enough, brown bears are much larger than the vanilla polar bears, standing just as tall as a player at the shoulders.
- Brown bears can move just as fast as a sprinting player, even when swimming in water; combined with their decently strong attacks, this makes them reasonably threatening early-game enemies.
- Brown bears despawn on the Peaceful difficulty, as do black bears.