Lampreys are hostile mobs that spawn in freshwater biomes.
Lampreys are based on the sea lamprey, and although they always have pale brown undersides, they come in 3 different color patterns; green with grey spots and pale brown fins, brown with dark brown fins, and yellow-green with light brown stripes and yellow fins.
Lampreys are naturally hostile to any players and animals that enter the water. When attacking, they will swim towards targets before latching onto them and biting them to death, dealing 0.25 hearts (0.5 HP) of damage and inflicting Weakness II for 14 seconds with each bite. When not attacking, they will swim around aimlessly in a similar manner to fish.
Lampreys can be caught by using a water bucket on them; when this bucket is used on a block, it immediately empties, placing a source of water with the lamprey inside of it.
If a lamprey gets beached on land, it will start suffocating after 20 seconds. While on land, lampreys will flop around erratically in an attempt to get back into the water.
- Now drops cod when killed.
- No longer spawns in oceans by default.
- Now swims around when not attacking targets.
- Mobs killed by lampreys no longer drop items.
- Now has improved animations.
- AI has been improved, and can now pathfind (1.14+ only).
- Now drops Eel Meat when killed.
- Can now be caught in a bucket (1.14+ only).
- It is possible for a lamprey to be killed by its target via said target simply walking up to a wall while it is latched onto them, causing it to suffocate to death.
- Combined with their weak attacks, this makes lampreys among the least dangerous early-game enemies a player can encounter; however, they can still be a major source of irritation, as their penchant for attacking other animals and their ability to prevent their targets from dropping items can deprive players of resources.