Songbirds are passive mobs that spawn in many vegetated biomes.
Although songbirds always have light grey legs, they come in 2 different types. The first type is a larger songbird with a longer head and wings, which comes in 4 different variants:
- A pale brown variant with an orange face, a black beak and eye markings, an orange-brown feathery crest atop its head, black wings with red tips on its secondary feathers and yellow tips on its primary feathers, anda dark grey tail fan with yellow feather tips (based on the Bohemian waxwing).
- A dark grey variant with an orange chest, light grey leg feathers, and a yellow beak (based on the American robin).
- A red variant with black facial markings, a light pink beak, and a feathery crest atop its head (based on a male Northern cardinal).
- A light brown variant with dark grey facial markings, a light pink beak, a feathery crest atop its head, and red feather tips (based on a female Northern cardinal).
The second type is a smaller songbird with a shorter head and wings, which comes in 6 different variants:
- A light brown variant with an orange face and chest and light grey leg feathers (based on the European robin).
- A light blue variant with a light orange chest and light grey leg feathers (based on the Eastern bluebird).
- A brown variant with dark brown stripes on its back, wings, and tail fan (based on the house sparrow).
- A light grey variant with pale orange flanks and a feathery crest atop its head (based on the tufted titmouse).
- A black variant with a green back, a yellow underside, and grey wings and tail fan (based on the great tit).
- A green variant with a black-white face, an orange feathery crest atop its head, a light brown underside, and light-brown black wings and tail fan (based on the common firecrest).
Songbirds are very skittish, and will flee from any player that gets within 7-10 blocks away from them; when moving, they fly 1-2 blocks off the ground at a slow pace, only walking when unable to take to the air. Otherwise, they will just aimlessly fly around; as well as this, they will fly upwards upon taking damage.
Songbirds can be bred with any kind of seed, and are bred in the same manner as other vanilla animals (right-clicking with the breeding item); however, only 2 birds of the same variant can breed with each other. As well as this, they will not follow players holding seeds; however, they will not flee from players if they are holding seeds, either. Due to this, it is ideal to herd one songbird to the other before holding out seeds breeding them.
It takes 1 day for a songbird chick to reach adulthood.
- Now has a new green variant based on the common firecrest.